Thursday 13 October 2011

Tearfulness is a repugnant female trait


Champs Elysees, Charles Bridge
If I don't go away soon I will implode, and I fear I will be taking no one with me! I must go to Prague, I must not go alone, I must go soon...See how my constant need for instant gratification has holes shot in it already? 
I have very little coming up in the near future bar reading, writing and...there's a gig tomorrow...yep that's it. YEP. 
I just started reading Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih for my Post-Colonial Literature module. It is good but it is early days.
I want to go for a swim with my hamster bobbing next to me in her awful plastic ball. I NEED FRESH AIR I fear i'm becoming a bedroom gremlin. I wrote this last night when I was drunk with my dad and typed it into my Sony Ericsson *saved as draft*. We were in his hotel room, he was in the bath and I was looking at the dead pier, it was raining.

I could wade into the ocean and become lost,
Whilst maintaining the pretence
that what occurred was sheer coincidence.
If I would, I could
Blend into the horizon in a straight line so that
The sun rises and sets with me in time
(I could undo the times my curiosity got the better of me)
Hello you! I love you and that and us and them,
But give me ten seconds and you will hear
How dreamy, sleepy smiles pave way for fear.
Every song I want to drape over my ear
Is a song that beats with the dead passion of past
(You CAN'T repeat the past)
(But of course you can!)
I have no right to peer into for which I am sorry
I tire of myself and melancholy.
I offer my sincerest apologies if I often weep
And prefer my life as it is when I sleep.

But here is something true, and lovely

Elegy: Image of her whom I love- John Donne
So If I dream I have you, I have you,
For all our joys are but fantastical.
And so I 'scape the pain, for pain is true;
And sleep, which locks out sense, doth lock out all.


2 comments:

  1. 'Oh stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face of his beloved arises?
    Doesn't his secret insight into her pure features come from the pure constellations?'
    Rainer Maria Rilke

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me a bit mad, who has pure features? I hate people with pure features. I like how you took the most beautiful section of the elegy to post. I like the ending (I had never read this before Charlotte)


    'No, we don't accomplish our love in a single year
    as the flowers do; an immemorial sap
    flows up through our arms when we love. Dear girl,
    this: that we loved, inside us, not One who would someday
    appear, but
    seething multitudes; not just a single child,
    but also the fathers lying in our depths
    like fallen mountains; also the dried-up riverbeds
    of ancient mothers-; also the whole
    soundless landscape under the clouded or clear
    sky of its destiny-: all this, my dear, preceded you.
    And you yourself, how could you know
    what primordial time you stirred in your lover. What
    passions
    welled up inside him from departed beings. What
    women hated you there. How many dark
    sinister men you aroused in his young veins. Dead
    children reached out to touch you . . . Oh gently, gently,
    let him see you performing, with love, some confident daily
    task,-
    lead him out close to the garden, give him what outweighs
    the heaviest night . . .
    Restrain him . . . '

    ReplyDelete